Everything you Might want to know about Relay Money
Fundraising & Collections
As you know there are many ways of raising money for your team. You could hold a quiz night, pamper evening or do a sky dive or a headshave. Whatever you are planning please let us know if you need any help. If you give us the details we can promote your event on the website and on social media.
Please make sure that you keep any receipts for your events carefully and that the money you make is counted with your team captain or another adult and handed in or paid in online as quickly as possible as described in the next section, Banking Money.
You will all know that whatever event you are doing, a good way of raising a bit more money is to hold a raffle. This is known as a cloakroom raffle and can easily be run at a physical event where it is drawn at the location at a fixed time.
Sadly the Gambling Commission has very strict rules about how raffles must be run and it does not allow raffles held virtually because they are not being held at a physical location. Therefore the Committee is not allowed to promote any virtual raffles on social media because they are not being held at a physical event.
As soon as we are able to do physical events we will be able to hold these cloakroom raffles at many events as before.
The Committee will be running a large Free Prize Draw next year – more details early in 2021.
As you may know the Government will add Gift Aid to any donation made to our relay under certain rules. So if you make a donation of £10 and you qualify for Gift aid the government will add an extra 25% to that donation so your donation of £10 will give £12.50 to CRUK.
Any donation made to a CRUK can qualify for Gift Aid if :-
- a Gift aid form is completed and submitted to CRUK. The form must be completed with the donor’s full name, home address, postcode and the date of the donation.
- the donor must be a UK Taxpayer.
Examples of valid Gift Aid Donations are:-
- donations made by individuals of their own money
- candle of hope Donations, as HMRC has agreed that they have an insignificant monetary value.
If you have received any benefit then the charity cannot reclaim the Gift Aid.
Examples of things which cannot be gift-aided:-
· Entry fees
· Ticket sales
· Store collections
Please make sure that you use the Donation form in your pack and please check if you can that if people are ticking the box correctly they complete the Cancer Research Donation Form with all their details.
If you are putting money onto the website as a personal donation then please complete the “add gift aid” box and equally, if you run an event and pay the money onto your team page then please do not tick the “add gift aid” box.
Gift Aid for Candle Bags
When you make a donation for your candle bags and you are a tax payer you can claim Gift Aid using the Gift Aid Form from our site.
Please complete both sections of the form and email it or post it as detailed on the form. Thank you.
Questions and Answers
Q Recently I celebrated a birthday and asked for my friends to donate to Relay instead of buying me a present. How can I ensure that Gift Aid can be claimed?
A Ask your friends to add their donations and full details onto a CR donation form and hand to the Treasurer, Jane, as soon as possible. If they prefer your friends can donate onto your CR Relay page and add Gift Aid immediately with the donation.
If you have any other questions regarding finance please eMail firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that you can give money to relay in any of the following ways:-
- Hand to Jane accompanied by an Event Collection form. Please complete the form before you hand money to me – it is much easier to check amount and I can ensure that the money is allocated to the correct team.
- BACS money to our bank account
Sort code: 30-95-08
Please give your donation a reference with your team name. If you use either method 1 or 2 please ensure that you give or send me an Event Collection form. The easiest way to do this is to take a photo of the Event Collection Form and send it through to me. I can then go onto the Management System and record your donation onto the CRUK Relay website and soon you will be able to see it shown on your team total.
- You or your friends can make donations to you (or to your team) directly on the CRUK website and in the past I have encouraged this as the money does go direct to CRUK. However, CRUK have moved their operation to a new provider and they encourage you to give extra money to the provider. The default is 15% which is very high and this extra money will not go to CRUK. You can donate this way but please choose a lower percentage – if you want to give nothing extra, change extra money to “£0”
Links to useful Resources
Please use these links to download useful documents.
Event collection form. Used to list money collected with details of the type of event.
Cancer Research Donation form. Used to record who has donated money and can be used to cliam Gift Aid
Virtual Fundraising Guide
Cancer Research UK have produced a guide with ideas for virtual relays. The Fundraising at home guide has loads of ideas for events you can organise and run from home, ideal for these times of lockdown.
Other resources are available on the Cancer Research UK website at https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/relay-for-life-fundraising-materials
Prize Draw Terms and Conditions
Relay For Life Liskeard Prize Draw – Significant Terms & Conditions
- The Promotion is open to UK residents only aged 18 or over.
- There is a suggested donation of £1 per ticket. No donation is necessary.
- A maximum of twenty entries to the Prize Draw can be submitted per entrant in the following ways:
- send an email with your name, phone number and the number of entries you would like to email@example.com;
- if applicable, providing your name and contact details (phone number and/or email) on a ticket stub provided to you by a Relay For Life Liskeard Committee member and return this information on the stub of the ticket to the member.
- Entry to the Promotion closes on Sunday, 28th May 2023.
- The top three prizes are:
1st Prize – £150
2nd Prize – A hamper consisting of food and drink associated with Cornwall
3rd Prize – A 1 litre bottle of Bacardi Carta Blanca White Rum
- The draw will take place on Sunday, 28th May 2023. The winners of the Promotion will be the first valid entries selected at random from all entries received during the Entry Period.
- The winners will be notified within seven days of the Draw Date by telephone or in person.
- If you have any queries or would like to read the full terms & conditions, please ask Jane Gimblett for a copy on 07985102666 or visit: liskeardrelay.org or facebook.com/relayforlifeliskeard.
Promoter: Relay For Life Liskeard Committee on behalf of Cancer Research UK, 2 Redman Place, London, E20 1JQ.
To see full terms and conditions click here.